Hello there, I thought I’d take you all to the movies for Halloween!
Saw, Scream, Silence of the Lambs and Friday the 13th are screening!!! Firstly, can I just say that I don’t really watch full-on slasher gory horror, I’m just too much of a wimp! I slept with the light on for a week after I watched the Exorcist. And when I say ‘watched’ I mean, I was in the room when it was on. Behind a cushion. With my fingers in my ears. Scarred for life! No, I’m definitely more of a psychological thriller kind of a girl, Silence of the Lambs being my all time favourite, so here it is first on the menu (no cannibal pun intended!)
To make the shape I used a heart and a egg cutter like this:
and just ‘smushed’ the nose part so it wasn’t too pointy before baking.
To decorate I scraped a little black icing over where the mouth would go, and piped some brown to make the bump for his nose and let these both dry. Once dry I flooded it, covering the entire nose part (round the top too). For this you need a thicker icing than flood icing. To make the holes I thought I’d try the coconut crater technique from Georganne at Lilaloa using a thinner icing (you can see the spots in the third picture). I’m not sure I did it right so after about an hour I helped them long with a scribe tool. Patience is a virtue you know, but I’m just that not virtuous 😉
I’m really pleased with his little nose! (It shows up better on the top photo) I’ve always just piped details on after flooding, never before. I didn’t think it would work, and to be honest, I think I could have gone for a bigger bump, but now I know I can do it, the possibilities are endless! Well, probably not endless but you know what I mean!
For the scream mask, I used the egg cutter again and just gave it a bit of a stretch downwards. I scraped some black icing all over the biscuit. When this was dry I piped where the eyes, mouth and nose were to be and flooded the biscuit. In hindsight, I would have just scraped where the black was to show through because some of black bled into the white! Oops! When the white was dry I added some details to the eyes and a black hood.
For Jason’s hockey mask, I mixed elements of the Hannibal and scream mask by adding some black for the eyes and a bump for the nose. Once the white flood had dried I used Lizy B’s antiquing cookies technique to make the mask look dirty, the bleeding from the black underneath actually helped here! Totally skillful on my part, honestly!! Once dry, I added some straps with brown icing and the holes with a food marker.
Last but not least is the Saw mask. I wasn’t really a fan of this film but I love the cookies, they turned out really creepy!! I used the kopykake for the shape, after the black for the eyes had dried. Then I added the details: red eyes and mouth, cheeks with a red swirl while still wet (wish I’d tried my ‘bump’ technique here but never mind!), nose, eyebrows and hair and you have one freaky looking clown-dude, puppet, er, thing!